Lifestyle & heritage
Many visitors return regularly to Poitou-Charentes, not only to explore the stunning coastline and countryside, but to enjoy a French lifestyle that includes gastronomy and heritage sites, festivals and special events.
Away from the main towns, dozens of historic small communities such as Chauvigny, Montmorillon and Parthenay offer an authentic slice of local life and culture. Six enchanting villages have also been ranked amongst Les Plus Beaux Villages de France – four on the mainland and two on Ile-de-Ré.
Poitou-Charentes boasts some of the finest examples of French Romanesque art and UNESCO has classified six buildings along the pilgrims’ route to Santiago de Compostela on their World Heritage Site list. Also on the UNESCO list are the breathtaking murals of the abbey church at Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe.
You’ll find plenty of grand chateaux to explore with lavish interiors and glorious gardens - you can even stay in a chateau hotel. But Poitou-Charentes offers accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets including charming small hotels, friendly guest houses, and self-catering properties.
And if you like a good party, take in one of the region’s many special events and festivals such as Francofolies in La Rochelle, the Circuit des Remparts in Angoulême, and the four-day Fête du Cognac.
|Charming accommodation||Food & drinks||Town & villages||Events|
- Croisard et Fils In a vineyard at the gateway to the Angoulême area, Jean and Patricia invite you to share their enthusiasm [...] More
- Domaine des Brissons de Laage Pineau des Charentes, cognac, sparkling grape drink for sale. Visit of the vineyard, distillery and cellar [...] More
- Cognac Guiet Petit The property is characteristic of the winegrowing farmsof the Grande Champagne and the reputation of thesl [...] More
- Pineau cognac Richard 5 minutes from Pons, in the direction of Archiac and Barbezieux. Visit of the cellars and distillery. Tasting. More
- Cognac Morandiere The "Vineyards of Morandière" welcome you to Saint-Georges-des-Agoûts, in Mirambeau county, for [...] More
- Pineau cognac Roux Cognac, Pineau, Charente Verjus et Brûlot for sale. Visit of the distillery, vineyard and cellars on appoi [...] More