La Rochelle & Ile de Re
With their rich history and fascinating heritage sites, picturesque coastline and varied family attractions, La Rochelle and Ile de Re rank amongst the highlights of the French Atlantic Coast.
A fishing village in the Middle Ages, La Rochelle is famous today for its beautiful Vieux Port, guarded by medieval twin towers. Relax at a restaurant on the quayside, discover the temptations of historic shopping streets fringed with arcades, and visit the city’s many museums. Step on board the ships of the Maritime Museum and visit the Aquarium – one of Europe’s largest.
Easy to explore on foot, La Rochelle also operates a bike hire scheme with 160 km of designated cycle tracks. The city has a vibrant contemporary scene too with music festivals, sports events and shows throughout the year, including Le Grand Pavois, Europe’s biggest floating boat show.
Take the toll bridge to Ile de Re, known as The White Island for the quality of its light and whitewashed houses. Explore the island’s ten villages which include two classified amongst the Most Beautiful Villages of France; follow a network of trails by bike or on horseback; and wander the Vauban ramparts of Saint-Martin-de-Ré where you might even spot one of the famous ‘Donkeys in Trousers’.
More about La Rochelle & Ile de Re
Wall of fame
Upcoming events in La Rochelle & Ile de Re
- Voiles de Nuit – 28 September 2013 See the port of La Rochelle in a new light! More
- Le Grand Pavois - La Rochelle, 25-30 September 2013 Visit Europe’s largest in-water boat exhibition More
- Red Bull Cliff Diving – La Rochelle, 24-25 May 2013 Death-defying diving in the most spectacular location More
- Nuits Romanes – across the region through June, July and August Free concerts and shows showcasing the region’s Roman heritage More
- Les Francofolies – French Music Festival 12-16 July 2013 Vibrant festival set in La Rochelle More