The lush, green landscape of Poitou-Charentes is one of the best places to enjoy a nature holiday in France.
With no mountains or rugged terrain to contend with, the countryside is easily accessible to everyone, offering an unrivalled mix of sand dunes and salt marshes, vineyards and valleys, not to mention the glorious beaches of the French Atlantic Coast.
Get close to nature on a birdwatching holiday to see both resident species and seasonal visitors. You’ll find a number of bird reserves along the mainland, island and estuaries as well as other excellent vantage points.
Find out how the fragile natural environment is protected at 15 Pôle Nature environment centres in the Charente-Maritime department, four Maisons du Parc in the marshland of Marais Poitevin, and the Vitrezay Nature Centre on the Gironde estuary.
The gently undulating countryside is an open invitation to walkers and cyclists with a network of well- marked paths, whilst fishermen can relax on an ocean shore or beside a river. For real family-friendly fishing, try the Pescalis angling centre near Parthenay.
And do your own bit for the environment by staying at a hotel or campsite with the European Ecolabel – just look out for flower symbol.
|Fishing||Natural reserves||Walking||Gardens||Sustainable accommodation|
- Site Ostreicole et Naturel de Fort Royer More
- Réserve Naturelle du Toarcien The Toarcien national natural reserve ensures the conservation of two old open-air quarries on the right b [...] More
- Marais des Bris Marais des Bris : Stroll through the swamp and along the seaside to observe all the biodiversity, the rais [...] More
- Réserve Naturelle du Marais de Moëze Fabulous scenery, protected and regulated space, the nature reserve full of wealth. On the main road of bi [...] More
- Réserve Naturelle de Lilleau des Niges Close to the Natural Reserve, the Maison du Fier invites you to discover the biodiversity of the island of [...] More
- Parc de l'Estuaire More