The lush, green landscape of Poitou-Charentes is one of the best places to enjoy a nature holiday in France.
With no mountains or rugged terrain to contend with, the countryside is easily accessible to everyone, offering an unrivalled mix of sand dunes and salt marshes, vineyards and valleys, not to mention the glorious beaches of the French Atlantic Coast.
Get close to nature on a birdwatching holiday to see both resident species and seasonal visitors. You’ll find a number of bird reserves along the mainland, island and estuaries as well as other excellent vantage points.
Find out how the fragile natural environment is protected at 15 Pôle Nature environment centres in the Charente-Maritime department, four Maisons du Parc in the marshland of Marais Poitevin, and the Vitrezay Nature Centre on the Gironde estuary.
The gently undulating countryside is an open invitation to walkers and cyclists with a network of well- marked paths, whilst fishermen can relax on an ocean shore or beside a river. For real family-friendly fishing, try the Pescalis angling centre near Parthenay.
And do your own bit for the environment by staying at a hotel or campsite with the European Ecolabel – just look out for flower symbol.
|Fishing||Natural reserves||Walking||Gardens||Sustainable accommodation|
- Nombril du Monde Pougné-Hérisson is a legendary village engendering the tallest of tales. So tall, in fact, that the simple [...] More
- Phare de Saint Georges Visit of the Saint Georges de Didonne lighthouse off season for groups only. Open to all publics in July a [...] More
- Jardins du Prieuré Listed as one of the "remarkable gardens" , the Priory Gardens are a paradise for those [...] More
- Jardin Les Bucoliques This landscaped garden is dedicated to the four elements of life: earth, air, fire and water. . Accommoda [...] More
- Conservatoire du Begonia Le Conservatoire du Bégonia / the Begonia Greenhouse: 1 rue Charles Plumier - Tel : +33 (0)5 46 99 08 26 - [...] More
- Celles sur Belle The county is located between Niort and Melle. Celles-sur-Belle is a small yet distinctive town with a sub [...] More