The lush, green landscape of Poitou-Charentes is one of the best places to enjoy a nature holiday in France.
With no mountains or rugged terrain to contend with, the countryside is easily accessible to everyone, offering an unrivalled mix of sand dunes and salt marshes, vineyards and valleys, not to mention the glorious beaches of the French Atlantic Coast.
Get close to nature on a birdwatching holiday to see both resident species and seasonal visitors. You’ll find a number of bird reserves along the mainland, island and estuaries as well as other excellent vantage points.
Find out how the fragile natural environment is protected at 15 Pôle Nature environment centres in the Charente-Maritime department, four Maisons du Parc in the marshland of Marais Poitevin, and the Vitrezay Nature Centre on the Gironde estuary.
The gently undulating countryside is an open invitation to walkers and cyclists with a network of well- marked paths, whilst fishermen can relax on an ocean shore or beside a river. For real family-friendly fishing, try the Pescalis angling centre near Parthenay.
And do your own bit for the environment by staying at a hotel or campsite with the European Ecolabel – just look out for flower symbol.
|Fishing||Natural reserves||Walking||Gardens||Sustainable accommodation|
- Jardin Médiéval de la Guyonnière The Guyonnière castle dates back to the 14th century. Notwithstanding extensive renovations in the 15th an [...] More
- Château de Saint Loup Located in the southern part of the Loire Valley, the castle of Saint Loup is a major landmark in the hist [...] More
- Jardins du Chaigne Strating in 2003 Les Jardins du Chaigne are located in Grande Champagne Hills, an attractive cognac produc [...] More
- Jardins Européens More
- Jardin Monastique Médiéval These medieval monastic gardens include a scent garden, a boutique garden, an orchard, a vegetable garden, [...] More
- Jardins de Compostelle High on the shores of the "Lac du Bois Fleuri" (lake of the flowery woods), sample the charms of [...] More