The lush, green landscape of Poitou-Charentes is one of the best places to enjoy a nature holiday in France.
With no mountains or rugged terrain to contend with, the countryside is easily accessible to everyone, offering an unrivalled mix of sand dunes and salt marshes, vineyards and valleys, not to mention the glorious beaches of the French Atlantic Coast.
Get close to nature on a birdwatching holiday to see both resident species and seasonal visitors. You’ll find a number of bird reserves along the mainland, island and estuaries as well as other excellent vantage points.
Find out how the fragile natural environment is protected at 15 Pôle Nature environment centres in the Charente-Maritime department, four Maisons du Parc in the marshland of Marais Poitevin, and the Vitrezay Nature Centre on the Gironde estuary.
The gently undulating countryside is an open invitation to walkers and cyclists with a network of well- marked paths, whilst fishermen can relax on an ocean shore or beside a river. For real family-friendly fishing, try the Pescalis angling centre near Parthenay.
And do your own bit for the environment by staying at a hotel or campsite with the European Ecolabel – just look out for flower symbol.
|Fishing||Natural reserves||Walking||Gardens||Sustainable accommodation|
- Parc de la Belle In 10 hectares of beautiful valleys on the banks of the river Belle this varied and blooming park offers a [...] More
- Jardins Ephémères This ephemeral garden shows original works of plant art, created by artists, based on a new theme every ye [...] More
- Jardin Val de Flore The flower garden extends over 7 acres of greenery on the banks of the La Viette river and its untamed sur [...] More
- Commanderie des Antonins The history of Saint-Marc-la-Lande is bound together with the history of the Antonine order of monks that [...] More
- Mines d'Argent des Rois Francs The oldest silver mines in Europe open to visitors, from the 7th through the 10th century they were at the [...] More
- Musée des Tumulus Prehistoric times in 3 spaces: an archeological site dating from 4750 B.C. with a discovery trail and summ [...] More