There are so many fun activities for families to share in Poitou-Charentes that the question is never what to do, but where to start.
The French Atlantic Coast is studded with family-friendly resorts, glorious sandy beaches and opportunities for young watersports enthusiasts. But there’s plenty of water inland too.
Rent a family-sized cruiser for a relaxing holiday on the Charente river, navigating locks, watching for wildlife and browsing the local markets.
Explore the Marais Poitevin in a flat-bottomed boat or try walking, riding and mountain-biking round the lakes of Lavaud and Mas-Chaban.
Futuroscope is a must with its multiple moving-image attractions. So too is La Palmyre Zoo near Royan, but you’ll find animal attractions all over the region from crocodiles to birds of prey, sheep to shaggy Poitou donkeys.
Classroom history lessons come to life at the imposing forts and citadels that guard the coast. Climb a lighthouse, dress up in medieval costume at a castle, and go on board the replica 18th century frigate, Hermione, in Rochefort.
And if all that’s not enough, surprise the kids with a trip to a forest adventure trail, a scenic excursion on a miniature train, or a self-propelled ride on a vélo-rails or rail bike along a disused railway track.
- Aquarium de La Rochelle Located in the heart of town, inaugurated in April 2001, this is one of the most renowned aquariums in Eur [...] More
- Planète des Crocodiles More
- Parc Ornithologique les Oiseaux du Marais Poitevin In this large park in the heart of Marais sauvage, you will find more than seventy species of birds znd so [...] More
- Aquarium de Pescalis Pescalis is an original and unique destination in Europe for family fishing holidays, in the heart of a 15 [...] More
- Safari Parc de Haute Saintonge Dawn and dusk excursions by (4x4) Land Rover through a 650-hectare forest, lake and prairie wilderness to [...] More
- Sèvre Autruche Come and discover the life of the world’s biggest birds in captivity, their food, nests and reproduction h [...] More