The name cognac is synonymous the world over with the finest French spirit but the town of Cognac was an important trading port for salt and local wine long before the discovery of the double distillation process that produced the famous drink.
Take a guided tour of Hennessy and the town’s other major cognac houses; visit the fascinating Musée des Arts du Cognac; and find out about the surrounding area in the adjacent Cognac Country Discovery centre.
You’ll find more big name producers in nearby Jarnac. Follow the five themed Cognac Trails to meet smaller producers of both cognac and delicious pineau aperitif, as well as traditional craftsmen.
Today the vineyards of the Charente and Charente-Maritime departments combine to make the largest single vineyard in Europe for white grapes, most of it used in the production of cognac. But the area of Poitou-Charentes known as Cognac Country also includes the picturesque Charente Valley with its ancient water mills and sleepy villages, Romanesque churches and heritage towns.
Spend a day in Saintes to visit its outstanding Roman remains, see its elegant Renaissance town houses, and enjoy a river cruise on the Charente. And don’t miss Angoulême, home to the unique Comic Strip Museum.
More about Cognac country
- Cognac City Nestled on the banks of the picturesque river Charente, Cognac is a bustling town [...] More
- Cognac the Spirit First produced in the 17th century when the process of double distillation [...] More
- Charente valley The Charente river meanders for around 360 km through some of the most enchanting [...] More
- Saintes One of the undisputed jewels of the Charente Valley, Saintes was founded by the Romans in [...) More
- Angoulême Perched on a hill above the Charente, Angoulême became the ‘Capital of Paper’ [...] More
Wall of fame
Upcoming events in Cognac country
- Circuit des Remparts – 19-21 September 2014 Classic car street-racing in Angoulême More
- Fête du Cognac – 24-26 July 2014 Celebrate Charente food and drink at this three day festival More
- Les Nuits Romanes – 170 free events across the region Free concerts and shows showcasing the region’s Romanesque heritage throughout the summer More
- Musiques Métisses – world music festival, 6-8 June 2014 Rock to the beat in Angoulême More